Before I share this list of dangerous and deadly toxins found in personal care products like shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, cosmetics, lotion, & more I want to make sure everyone reading realizes the words natural, pure, organic, botanical, herbal, etc. mean NOTHING in the personal care industry. I learned this after buying Tom’s of Maine toothpaste and deodorant without reading the ingredients. I just trusted the label and was willing to pay more for “natural” (& what I thought meant safe, toxin free) products.
As a concerned consumer I started researching companies that claimed to make safe personal care products. What they put in their products was no different than the toxic ones I was buying. The only thing that changed was the price! Why? The more I researched the more frustrated I became. We are smothering ourselves, our children & our environment with a chemical cocktail, scientifically proven to cause neurological & endocrine disruption, cancer, degenerative disease and more!
Please share this post with those you care about and let’s clean up our bathrooms and our environment at the same time!THE TRUTH ABOUT WOMEN:
Women have four times the toxins as men because we have about 10% more body fat than men & store more fat-soluble toxic materials. These toxins in personal care products have been tentatively linked to breast cancer and hormone disruption. Women transfer toxins to children in utero and through breast milk, which some researchers suggest can affect fetal development and childhood growth. Ref: Women’s Foundation of California
Toxins In Personal Care Products:
1. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Laureth(SLES) –in shampoo, soap, toothpaste, facial cleansers, car washes, garage floor cleaners & engine degreasers and in 90% of products that foam.
2. PROPYLENE GLYCOL –used in cosmetics, hair care, food, deodorant
industrial and RV antifreeze, brake fluid, concrete additive, tobacco products.
Many deodorant formulations contain a higher amount of propylene glycol than industrial applications (Tom’s of Maine is one of them). Topical application to injured skin or intravenous administration has sometimes been associated with Lactic acidosis, Comas , Seizures & Renal Failure. Linked to: Central Nervous System Effects, Metabolic Effects & Poisoning
Ref: ATSDR Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry Ref: Reprotext2004
UK scientists have claimed: In their analysis of 20 breast tumors found high concentrations of para-hydroxybenzoicacids (parabens) in 18 samples.
3.PARABENS -(Mehtyl, Isobutyl, Ethyl-, Butyl-, Propyl-): used in hair care, lotions,creams, cosmetics, deodorants and soaps. Also used in pet care and food additives. Parabens can mimic the hormone estrogen, which is known to play a role in the development of breast cancers. The preservatives are used in many cosmetics and some foods to increase their shelf-life. These preservatives have been shown to cause skin rashes, eye irritation, respiratory irritation, are very harmful if swallowed. (Published in the Journal of Applied Toxicology 2004.)
4. Alph-hydroxyAcids: used in cosmetics, skin creams & facial peels -causes redness, peeling & irritation. Should ONLY be used under dermatologist supervision because of dangerous nature.
5. MEA: used in shampoos, body washed, skin creams & shaving gels as a solvent & wetting agent. Shows clear carcinogen activity.
6. DEA (Diethanolamine): used in shampoos, body wash, skin creams, shaving creams.Is a solvent, wetting agent or emulsifier. Is a carcinogen, U.S. Dept of Health’s National Toxicology Program suggests warning labels on all products containing DEA
7. Dioxin: a hidden unlabeled ingredient commonly found in plastic bottles, lotions & shampoos. Known carcinogen & endocrine disruptor.
8. Flouride: used in toothpaste to help prevent decay.
Studies suggest it contributes to bone disease, may be a carcinogen. In high doses flouridecan be fatally toxic. Children are known to swallow ½ of the toothpaste during brushing!
9. Benzophenones: used in personal care products & sunscreens to protect fragrances from UV light damage. Is a derivative of highly toxic Benzene & are known eye, skin & respiratory irritants.
10. Formalin or Formaldehyde: used in nail polish, antiperspirant, perfumes, dyes, shampoos & more.Is a carcinogen & neurotoxin that may be fatal if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through skin.
11. BiphenolA : used as coating or ingredient for bottles, canned food, plastic containers. Link between it & increased risk of diabetes & heart disease. Is an endocrine disruptor & has negative prenatal effects.
12. PABA (Para Amino enzoicAcid): used in sunscreen & as a dietary supplement. Side effects include dry skin, nausea, vomiting, depletion of VitD & carcinogen activity in some people.
13. Phthalates: used in nail polish, hair spray, deodorants & more
Damage liver, kidney, lungs & reproductive system & may be carcinogenic.
14. Quaternuim15 & 51: used in cosmetics & personal care items.
Known allergen that can release formaldehyde. Causes contact dermatitis.
15. TEA (Triethanolamine): used in household cleaners, cosmetics, personal care products. Similar to DEA & MEA, is used to adjust PH levels in cosmetics & modify fatty acids to create the base for cleaners. Causes dry skin & hair, eye problems & toxicity
16. PEG (Polyethylene Glycol): used in cosmetics, shaving cream & personal care products. Considered so toxic that workers are required to wear protective gloves, clothing etc. while disposing. Petroleum derivative that penetrates skin, weakens proteins & cellular structure causing kidney, brain & liver abnormalities.
17. Toluene:used in nail polish. Potential carcinogen & endocrine disruptor which may cause liver & respiratory damage as well as birth defects.
18. Talc:used in cosmetics, baby powders, foot prep. Known carcinogen. Used in the genital area of women leads to a 60% increase in risk of ovarian cancer.
19. Mineral Oil: used in skin care products, cosmetics, etc. to soften & moisturize. Baby oil is 100% mineral oil. Is a petroleum by-product that dries skin, clogs pores which leads to acne & premature aging. It also slows the development of new skin cells.
20. Lanolin: used as a moisturizer in skin creams. Naturally it is NOT harmful but is often contaminated with harmful pesticides & harsh chemicals that are used on the sheep wool from which lanolin comes. The majority of lanolin is contaminated to some degree.
21. Glycerin: used in moisturizers & lotions. It attracts moisture from the air to your skin, but can also attract moisture from your skin, leading to dryness.
22. Aluminum: used in antiperspirants & cosmetics. Possible link between it & central nervous system disorders such as Alzheimer’s.
Ok, there is a list of many of the most dangerous toxins in personal care products as well as some startling information of the hidden dangers of these chemicals.
To avoid these chemicals we use coconut oil, Dr Bronners, shea butter, and other natural cleaners and moisturizers. Click here for a list of healthy alternatives.
I hope this post was informative enough to get you to go read the labels of the products you are using and see if they truly are what they claim on the frnt. Let me know what you find and spread this message to help everyone learn about toxins in personal care products and companies that are taking a stand by making toxin free products.
If you enjoyed this information, you will love my total wellness series – check it out at www.EducationBeatsMedication.com
Your wellness author & marketing muse,
Sassy, classy and kick a$$y Marketing Muse with a passion for living life well. I help solopreneurs build they online brand with grace and ease. My book on wellness proves that Education Beats Medication Click Here for a sneak peek. Stay tuned and connect if you're ready to start living your bliss online & off!
Phthalates Free Cosmetics & Personal Care Products
Gluten Free Cosmetics 100% Pure
Starting A Healthy Lifestyle